Origin of St. Joseph's Nursing Institutes
St. Joseph’s is one of the many establishments of the Society of Jesus Mary Joseph (JMJ) in India. St. Joseph’s Institutions are registered under the Society of Jesus, Mary, Joseph (JMJ), Guntur Province with its head office at JMJ Provincialate, New Bank Colony, Mangalagiri – 522503, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh. The Society of J.M.J. is a Christian Catholic Minority Institute with its objective of rendering charitable works, with a network of activities in Education, Healthcare and Social Service.
St. Joseph’s Hospital was founded by Sr. Dr. Mary Glowrey JMJ in 1925; currently the Hospital has bed strength of 300. It is a parent affiliated hospital to St. Joseph’s College & School of Nursing.
The long cherished dream of our founder Mathias Wolff SJ to educate the young women was realized with the commencement of GNM in 1946, ANM in 1984, B.Sc. (N) in 2003 and the PB B.Sc. (N) in the year 2008.
Rev. Sr. Dr. Mary Glowrey, the servant of God was instrumental in establishing the Nursing Educational Institutes at St. Joseph’s Hospital. The highly treasured zeal and passion of Mary Glowrey was carried forward by her followers Sr. Ancilla, (late), Sr. Marianne, Sr. Marina, Sr. Dominic, Sr. Vijaya, Sr. Gladys, Sr. Mercy and Sr. Lissy.
“A center for excellence in Nursing Education which is geared towards preparation of creative, caring and competent nursing professionals to meet the needs of the time by an expression of Christian concern for the sick and suffering.”
“St. Joseph’s College of Nursing is committed to the development of nursing professionals having high sense of scholarship and a deep commitment to service. The academic programme in St. Joseph’s College of Nursing is obvious as healing ministry emanated by Love, Care and Service besides concern for spiritual health as well as body and mind for all.”